I'm bored, it's a rainy NYC Sunday. Time to blog!
Inspired by the always entertaining pages of US Weekly, I have decided to share random tidbits of myself with you ala their 25 Things You Don't Know About Me feature. (This would more accurately be named "25 Things You Probably Know About Me But Wouldn't Remember Because They're Pretty Random But Hey, Aren't I Amusingly Weird?!" but let's just play along, shall we?)
Because I value your time and the modern human being's attention span, I will share these in two installments. Enjoy the first below!
- Every year I reread two of my favorite novels: To Kill a Mockingbird and Dune.
- When I was 16 I had blue/indigo hair.
- I got rid of my blue hair so I could be a student ambassador to Australia the following summer.
- I am "tongue-tied" aka I have an abnormally short tongue that barely sticks out beyond my lips when I try. (See photo at top right.) If you know me, you'll also know that never hindered my ability to speak... ;)
- I am not able to roll my Rs, nor wink. I can, however, do nearly all of those genetics-specific tongue-foldy-things and blink alarmingly fast, so it balances out.
- My full name is Jessica. You would be surprised by how many people are shocked to learn this.
- I give a "Yule Gift to the World" every year by donating to an animal protection or nature conservation charity.
- The only impression I've ever committed to was Madeline Kahn's "Flames...on the sides of my face..." monologue from Clue.
- I have a chart back at my mother's house that kept track of every time I read the Harry Potter books. While I was still keeping track (and still a minor living with my parents) I had read:
Books 1-4 - 37 times
Books 5 - 12 times
Book 6 - 5 times ***Yes, they have been reread multiple times since.
- The elementary school I went to in Anchorage, AK was the primary school for hearing-impaired children in the city. Because of it, I was able to converse in ASL and was given my own sign name.
- Jewel Staite is one of my career heroes (and in life - she's a seriously cool chick). Not even a month after I adopted a calico kitten and named her Kaylee, I dressed up as said Firefly character for NYCC and promptly lost my mind when I got to meet her. Luckily, I did not embarrass myself (further) and terrify her by revealing that...until I just posted it on the internet.
- When I'm bored and feeling particularly wackadoo, I like to serenade my friends with songs...but only singing the vowels. They're so lucky.
Any of those surprise you?
Stay tuned for the next installment!